She was a pretty awesome woman.
We lived with her once. (That is when the above picture took place) She was so nice enough to let us stay with her when times were tough when Seth started his business.
She had the most annoying dog, Kia. Everyone hated Kia. All she did was bark. Kia loved my Grandma. And Mykelle. When we moved in with my Grandma, Mykelle was about 5 months old. Mykelle's 2nd and 3rd words were "No, no Kia" Because we always told Kia "No, No" when she would bark at us as we walked in.
Kia was so protective over my Grandma. It was her only companion for a long time.
Grandma Mary loved having Mykelle around, and always asked to see her "Baby girl" Mykelle loved going into her room, and seeing her.
She loved kids! She loved having them around! My kids loved her!
Grandma was really going down hill that last year and a half, and ended up getting put in assisted living. Seth and I always talked about how we needed to go visit her more often, but an hour away just wasn't that convenient all the time.
A week before she passed away, I made a promise to my aunt that I would come visit her once a month as a goal for the new year. She was on my mind so much that week. I kept thinking I really need to see her. I would soon understand why.
My aunt then posted on facebook saying she had fallen and broke her ankle. She kept us all informed on what was going on with her, then she posted that she had aspirated, and got pneumonia. I knew how serious this was for someone with her health, so we all prayed for her.
Thursday night before she passed away, we got a call saying that she wasn't breathing on her own, and they didn't know if she would make it. My sister and I were heartbroken, but I was immediately comforted knowing that whatever happened would be right.
Friday after preschool we all (grand kids, and aunts and uncles) headed to the hospital to see her. It was the most touching and heartbreaking time. She didn't look well, and couldn't speak well, but we knew she knew we were all there. She was looking into our eyes. When I sat Swayzee next to her, she was so happy. She mumbled" She's beautiful. She's getting so big!" Later on she said" She looks just like her sister!"
Mykelle was so sad. Tears just started running down her face, and she didn't want to be there.
I have to say, it was so hard to see her suffering. I think we all wanted her to be better. To feel better. Swayzee kept wanting to climb on my grandma and touch her, and pull of her oxygen mask. Grandma was happy though.
We sang her a few songs. ( I barely sang, because I can't cry and sing at the same time)
We all sat and talked around her, and I think she enjoyed us all being present. We then said goodbye. We kissed her, and told her we loved her. She told us she loved us back quietly.
After we all left, her oxygen dropped dramatically.
About an hour later, just as we were arriving home, my aunt texted me saying that she was going to pass away at any time.
I was devastated even though I knew it was coming. I fell to my knees, and sobbed like I never have before. I knew it was going to happen. I knew it. I called Seth and told him on my way home that I didn't think she would make it. Just hearing it was so hard. I think it was because I felt like she had waited until we all got to say goodbye, and I was sad for my aunts and my dad for losing their mother.
The memories of her were flooding my brain, and I was overtaken with sorrow for about 5 minutes. My kids were sad, and confused a little. Mykelle is so tender, and was crying because she didn't want her Grandma (my mom) to die.
Trey kept kissing me and saying it's going to be okay mommy.
Mykelle then started saying "take deep breaths mom, take deep breaths" (Its kind of funny and cute now)
After the 5 minutes were up, I was OK.
A little while later, she died, and returned to Heaven.
I KNEW she was happy and not suffering anymore. That she was finally not suffering from something. Whether it be cancer, depression, pain, or whatever! She was no longer suffering!
My memories of her are so great! We spent so many summers and trips at her house, and they are the best memories of my childhood.
In my Grandma's obituary, I wrote that "I knew she would be kissing and hugging my future babies in heaven!"
The next day, I found out that I was pregnant.
I know that's exactly what she is doing.
God be with 'til we meet again!

9 comments:
Melissa,
I am so glad you got to see your Grandma! I know she probably waited for you all to visit her, before she left. I know how hard it is to loose a grandparent that you were close to. I know, you know, that you WILL see her again! That is cool about what you said about her kissing your future babies and then finding out the next day. :) I am glad you have so many happy memories with her! Also, such sweet kids as they try to comfort you. They are cute!
Love Darcy
This story is so touching, Melis. I am so sorry that you lost your grandma. I can't imagine how hard it would be to lose someone that you were so close to like that. Your memories are treasures and I am glad you shared them! That sweet Mykelle... what a cutie pie. Just remember grandma is in a better place now and is watching over you and your family always. Love ya, girl!
Tears.....I think it's so special you found out you were pregnant the day after she passed on....she had to give that baby #4 a kiss in heaven..so sweet.
That is a beautiful post and memories of your Grandmother, she would be so happy to see it. Your last visit with her sounds amazing and hard. What a great goodbye, I hope when it is my time I am surrounded by loved ones also. That is so beautiful about the baby.
The picture of her makes me want to cry. That's exactly how I remember her, wearing her jammies the majority of the time with a smile on her face! What a blessing it was for you and Seth to be able to live with her and become so close while she was in good health. She was such a beautiful woman, inside and out and will be missed by many. She is in a better place and is taking good care of your baby(s) right now. Thanks for sharing, Love you sweetie!
You guys are all so sweet! I am glad I have you all in my life!
My grandma really is so much happier, and we are all happy she is no longer suffering!
Love ya'll!
So sweet! Thank you for sharing. I couldn't help but compare your story with mine and my grandpa who passed away this year. She was such a sweetheart and she will be missed.
Beautiful and touching post. much love to you. <3
I just barely saw this post, because lets face it I have no time to myself. But I wanted to let you know how much a value in my life. When I got the call that my best friend had died, I was the same way. I tried calling Jake cause he knew her too, but nothing but sobbs came out. He rushed home thinking it was one of the kids. I will never forget the way I felt as the words rand in my head, or the way my heart hurt seeing her laying there,not herself, but damaged and mangaled, and angry for what had happened to her. Then her brother, who I was also very close to gave the most beautiful talk at her funeral. I love that I have the knowledge that I will see her again, and that as sisters our bond is never broken not even by death, What a beautiful thing God did for us when He created Families.
Post a Comment