1.10.2011

Bountiful Baskets

The basket this last Saturday was full of fruits and veggies. None that were really unusual.

This week we received... Pineapple, Apples, Blackberries, Tangelos, Yellow Squash, Brussels Sprouts, Cucumbers, Kiwi, Broccoli, and Lettuce (Which I donated because I don't ever use my mine)

I think I'll probably just eat the green apples, tangelos, pineapple, and kiwi because I'm making a few other things this week. I'm so into snacking on fruit right now. I'm using the tomatoes and cucumbers in a salad this week.

Here are a few recipes though.....

I found this recipe on "All recipes" last year, and it was rated almost a perfect 5 stars by 700 plus people. I never made it, but am going to try it tonight, because I have all the ingredients.

I have no appetite right now, so I'll let you know what my family thinks about it because I'll probably eat cereal.

Up-date: This was delicious! I bagged my cereal, and ate 2 helpings. My kids ate 3, and Seth ate the rest of the dish. (Which serves 10. Hello pigs!)

Yellow Summer Squash Casserole

Ingredients:

4 cups sliced yellow squash ( I sliced mine really thin with my slicer)

1/2 cup chopped onion

35 Ritz

1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

2 eggs, beaten

3/4 cup milk

1/4 cup butter, melted

1 teaspoon salt

ground black pepper to taste

2 tablespoons butter

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

Place squash and onion in a large skillet over medium heat. Pour in a small amount of water. Cover, and cook until squash is tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well, and place in a large bowl.

In a medium bowl, mix together cracker crumbs and cheese. Stir half of the cracker mixture into the cooked squash and onions. In a small bowl, mix together eggs and milk, then add to squash mixture. Stir in 1/4 cup melted butter, and season with salt and pepper. Spread into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cracker mixture, and dot with 2 tablespoons butter.

Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.

· I'm making this with my broccoli because I have all the ingredients, and I'm craving it.

Broccoli Salad

Ingredients:

10 Slices of Turkey Bacon

1 Head Fresh Broccoli, Cut Into Pieces and blanched

1/4 Cup Red Onions, Chopped

1/2 Cup Craisins

3 Tbs White Wine Vinegar

2 Tbs White Sugar

1 Cup Light Mayonnaise

1 Cup Sunflower Seeds

Directions:

Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside. (Shortcut: Cook in the microwave on a plate with five paper towels underneath and five on top for about 3-4 minutes, or until bacon is cooked through.)

In a medium bowl, combine the broccoli, onion and craisins. In a container with a tight lid, add the vinegar, sugar and mayonnaise, seal, and then shake until the ingredients are blended. Pour over the broccoli mixture, and toss until well mixed. Refrigerate for at least two hours. (This salad only gets better with time!)

Before serving, toss salad with crumbled bacon and sunflower seeds.

Easy Blackberry Cobbler

I obviously didn't have 4 cups of blackberries, so I used frozen blueberries with the blackberries, and ate it with ice cream. :)

Ingredients:

4 cups fresh blackberries

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1 large egg

1 cup sugar

1 cup all-purpose flour

6 tablespoons butter, melted

Whipped cream (optional)

Garnish: fresh mint sprig

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 375°. Place blackberries in a lightly greased 8-inch square baking dish; sprinkle with lemon juice. Stir together egg, sugar, and flour in a medium bowl until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle over fruit. Drizzle melted butter over topping. Bake at 375° for 35 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream, if desired. Garnish with fresh mint sprig, if desired.

For a neat presentation, bake for the same amount of time in 6 (8-oz.) ramekins on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet.

P.S. I swear I posted a recipe to Brussels sprouts on here once, but I couldn't find it, so I wanted to share what we did with ours, because they were SO good. I cut up 1 onion and I quartered the sprouts, and sautéed them in olive oil with salt and pepper. I also baked turkey bacon for about 12 minutes at 375, and added it towards the end of sautéing the Brussels sprouts. (Which I sautéed for about 7 minutes. )

No comments: