This evening though, was not so great.
Trey had a soccer game, and he was SO excited. He practiced all day, and was so happy. When he got to the field, there were only 2 other girls there, and they all usually run around together and kick each others balls around. Trey kept kicking this one girls ball on his team, and they were laughing and having fun, so I didn't think anything of it.
Trey and this other little girl were running down to the other end of the field, and her dad was following them. I was playing with Swayzee on our blanket.
The next thing I know, I hear this man yelling at the top of his lungs. I look up, and it is the little girl's dad, yelling at Trey. He was in Trey's face, and instantly, I was LIVID. My blood was boiling! I could feel it! Trey was so scared, and embarrassed, and ran to our chairs.
The coach heard him too, and asked what was going on!
I marched down the field, and got in his face, and said "How dare you yell at my son like that!"
He said "Your son keeps kicking my daughters ball and she doesn't like it!" (honestly????)
I told him if he had a problem he should have come and talked to me about it, and not to ever yell at my son like that again. (I've never even gotten mad at my kids like this man did. He was about 6ft. and 300 pounds, and IN TREY'S FACE none the less) I was SO SO mad I can't even explain.
He then proceeded to ask me if I ever told my son no, which was just stupid due to the fact it had nothing to do with what we were talking about. We then exchanged a few more words that I don't even recall to be honest.
I wanted to walk away, so I finally said "You are a grown man, you should (keyword) know better!"
(After the incident, so many things were going through my head on the things I should have said)
I think the thing that made me so mad, is that Trey is honestly so sweet. If he was a bratty kid, I would understand A LITTLE more. He was just out there having a good time! It breaks my heart to even contemplate the way he felt in that moment, and still makes me get all choked up!
I went and sat back down (they were sitting right next to us) I just acted like nothing had happened, but inside I was trying to calm myself down. Wondering how I could make this situation better, because I felt disgusted, and angry.
Seth arrived after, and I didn't tell him what had happened. It took me the WHOLE game to calm down, but I knew I needed to apologize. I do think what he did was wrong, and I still do not care for this man very much, but after the game, I walked over to him and his wife, and I apologized FOR TALKING TO HIM THE WAY I DID. Not that I confronted him, but for yelling at him. I had Trey apologize to the little girl, and although he said it was OK, and that he understood, he didn't apologize to Trey.
His wife did say she would have done the same thing as a mother. (I would have kicked Seth's A if he ever yelled at somebody else's child that way)
After they left, I apologized to the coach who witnessed it all, and then I started bawling! (Freaking hormones) I was just so full of emotion.
THEN, Seth was REALLY confused, and the coach explained what a jerk that guy was while I tried to stop crying.
I was so ____________! I don't even know the word for it. Sad, disappointed, frustrated, and still a little mad.
I cried the whole way home after, and I don't even know why other than the fact that I was so emotional, and felt sad for Trey.
The whole game he was so nervous, and kept staring at the man that yelled at him, and sucking on his fingers. ( He NEVER does that) He didn't really want to play, and after his game he was crying about it.
I know I cannot protect my children forever! I know that.
This insignificant event has turned into a big one for me though. Now all I keep thinking about is bullies in all the schools! Oh geeze....
I felt so much better after dinner, but now I'm crying after writing all this. I think it's time for bed. I've been such a crybaby today.
Goodnight!

8 comments:
Ugh, I'm so sorry and sad to hear that story. I don't think I could have apologized to the jerk. Good for you though. Sometimes it sucks to be a mom when you think about all the bad things you can't protect your kids from.:(
you are a good woman. I don't think I could have apologized either and I probably would have told cody as soon as he got there. I would have been so mad as well. So sorry for Trey! That is so sad. Poor kiddo. Sorry that both of you had to deal with something like that. It makes being a mom even harder when you think about all the things our children will have to go through now a days compared to what we had to.
I was playing it all out in my head as i read it, I could just see how afraid and confused Trey was. Poor little guy he is such a sweet kid. That was very strong of you to apologize. You are a great mom. I don't think you will have to worry about your kids getting bulled at school.
Sorry u two had a hard day i hope his next game goes perfect to make up for that scary moment trey experienced
That's awful =o( Poor Trey. That man could have handled the situation so much better. It's not like he was bullying the girl or being malicious in any way. Way to go Mama Bear, you were definitely the better person that day.
stupid sasquatch. i got in a fight with a man like that once. over the phone. he threatened me. and, he told me it's a darn shame that the "rest of us" have to live in a future world with people that i have raised. haha.
Thanks friends. Love for you all!
Wow, that is a hard situation. I am so sorry. I would have gotten upset too and I would have cried my eye's out! It is the hardest thing as a mother to have your child's feelings hurt. I cried when a little girl said she didn't like Brenna when Brenna was like 1. It is so painful. You are a bad ass and a good person you will teach you kids how to stick up for themselves and how to do it the right right.
Oh I'm so sorry Melissa! That is awful. There is NOTHING that gets me madder than when I feel like someone is being mean to my kids, especially another adult. I had a similar experience at a basketball game at Weber State a few months ago, this grouchy old man started yelling at Megan because she was tapping his chair with her foot and I was instantly in mama bear mode!! He yelled at me too and said I was a bad mom and I need to teach my kid some manners! I was so mad and it ruined the rest of the game for me. As we were leaving Ryan got in the guy's face (he wasn't there when it happened of course, the guy would have never talked to me that way if he had been there) and I yelled at the guy "Someone should teach you some manners!" haha it sounds lame but I was so upset!! I know how you feel and I admire you for being the bigger person and apologizing. Sorry for Trey too! I wish we could protect our kids from all of the bullies of the world too, the little ones and the big ones!
Post a Comment