8.15.2010

Bountiful Baskets Menu

Lettuce, Eggplant, pluots (plum family),corn on the cob (the box is full of 48) pears,carrots, cucumbers,grapes, strawberries, tomatoes and bananas.

Here is what I'll be doing with some of the food I got from my Bountiful Basket on Saturday....

  • Strawberry Banana muffins
  • Cucumber salad
  • Eppplant Parmesan (Recipe Below)
  • Corn on the Cob
  • Green Salad

(That's all I've got so far. We will be super busy this week, so I don't plan on cooking too much.
I spent this afternoon freezing tons of carrots, peppers, herbs, bananas and corn.)

The corn was a lot of work, but it is so good. Although my friend Mrs. JM says corn has no nutritional value, it sure does taste good, and makes for a colorful dinner plate.

I also have tons of bananas frozen, and a bunch of fresh ones, so I plan on making these.

(I also use frozen bananas for smoothies, or whenever I feel like making banana bread. Don't know how to freeze bananas? Click Here.




Banana Bread (See recipes)

I'm using my eggplant for this:
Eggplant Parmesan


I ordered 48 heads of Olathe sweet corn, and am freezing it all. I found a good source that explains how to freeze it properly here.

I'm afraid of getting too much food, but am planning on freezing as many of the fruits and veggies that I can for cooking, and for making Swayzee's baby food.

Tonight for dinner, I used up the rest of my red peppers from last week, and made THIS. It was so good! My kids were slipping and slurping their noodles, and wanted more within minutes. Seth really liked it as well, and said it is one of the best pastas I've made. The only thing I did, was add basil, because right now I'm obsessed with that herb.

Thats all.

P.S. I ran my very first EVER! I mean EVER 5 miles this week. At 7:00 in the am, my friend Steph and I celebrated. I also broke a personal record for myself, and last week, I ran 3 miles in 21 minutes. It must have been the banana I ate for breakfast that gave me all the energy. Steph and I have been running together for a few weeks now, and it makes running SO much better. I actually enjoy running with her, and I don't feel tired at all. It actually feels really good. AND, to be honest, I could have kept going. BUT, don't tell Steph that, she might make me run 7 miles this week or something.

4 comments:

The Brindley's said...

If you did a bountiful basket menu every week, I would get the baskets and follow your lead lol. I have only gotten one and we ended up going out of town for a couple of days after, then I could not come up with a few of the recipes, so I wasted lots, but still got my money's worth. I want to try their bread though, looks delish!

Scottkids said...

Rachel,
I will for sure be doing a Bountiful Basket menu every time I get one. (I'm not getting one this week, because I'm going to be out of town)

I'm loving the idea of having everything frozen on hand. If I didn't freeze them, I would probably waste quite a bit!

Mallory Francks Photography said...

You go girl! That is so awesome about the running. I am going to need inspiration after this babe is born, so hopefully we can get together and walk/run next spring and summer.
I hope you have fun on your vaca! I signed up for the Bountiful Basket for this weekend and can't wait. I am a little bummed we don't have a big freezer. I always think of freezing stuff for winter. Ugh!
Love ya! See you soon!

Scottkids said...

Mallory, Thats Awesome! You will like it! Especially since you like to cook!