1.10.2009

An American Crime



Based on a true story that shocked the nation in 1965, the film recounts one of the most shocking crimes ever committed against a single victim. Sylvia and Jennie Fae Likens, the two daughters of traveling carnival workers are left for an extended stay at the Indianapolis (3850 E. New York St. is hardly suburban, nor was it in 1965, by any stretch of the imagination.) home of single mother Gertrude Baniszewski and her six children. Times are tough, and Gertrude's financial needs cause her to make this arrangement before realizing how the burden will push her unstable nature to a breaking point. What transpires in the next three months is both riveting and horrific, leaving one child dead and the rest scarred for life. Written by alfiehitchie
In 1965, in Indianapolis, Indiana, the teenager Sylvia and her fragile sister Jennie Faye Likens befriend the children of the single mother Gertrude Baniszewski in the church. Their parents Lester and Betty Likens offer twenty dollars per week to the dysfunctional and needy Gertrude to lodge and take care of their daughters while they work in a traveling Carnival. When Gertrude's daughter Paula tells in confidence to Sylvia that she is made pregnant by a married man called Bradley, Sylvia defends Paula against her lover disclosing the secret and their neighbor Ricky Hobbs overhears the argument. Sooner the rumor spreads in the high-school and neighborhood of Paula, who tells her mother that Sylvia is gossiping against her. The sadistic and evil Gertrude decides to punish Sylvia in her descent to hell. Written by
Claudio Carvalho, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I haven't felt this heartbroken in a long time. Maybe I am extremely emotional tonight. Okay, I am. I was hysterically crying through most of this movie. My love for children is so great. While watching this movie, All I could think about is....HOW COULD SOMEBODY DO THIS? HOW? WHY? I am so sad. I can't stop crying.I know this is just a movie, but it was based on a true story. I just can't comprehend child abuse. I just don't get it. People in this world are so sick.

3 comments:

TJ and Jessica said...

We went and saw a great movie last night at the dollar theatre called "Fireproof". Karissa told us about it a while ago. It's a Christian movie about a firefighter and his releationship with his wife, definetely makes you think about what you could be doing better in your relationship. Maybe it will be a little more uplifting, even though I cried! :)
Sorry you're having a rough night. Love ya!

smartkidspreschool said...

HaHa! Last night was rough for me, but it really was a good movie. I think I just needed a good cry. That made it even MORE sad. Seth fell asleep, and I was balling right next to him. He still didn't wake up! You shoul watch it though. That movie sounds good too!

sprmom said...

I love how tender your heart is. Alows you to love people that sometimes may not deserve to be loved all the time. You are an amzing mother and like you I too have difficulty reading and watching stuff about child abuse. It can literally make me sick to my stomach, ecspecially when they seem to have no remorse for it.