3.27.2011

Secret Millionaire

No, I am not one. Nor is Seth.

We do love the show however.

The show" Secret Millionaire'" headline states.... "Follow some of America's wealthiest people for one week as they leave behind their lavish lifestyles, sprawling mansions and luxury jets, conceal their true identities, and go to live and volunteer in some of the most impoverished and dangerous communities in America."

Tonight's episode was so touching. It has inspired Seth and I do do some good in our community. We are going to put together Hygiene kits and pass them out near the Homeless shelter in downtown Salt Lake. It is no secret that I LOVE to help at the homeless shelter. I've been going there the last 4 years or so every time my ward gets invited. The only problem is that you can only do so much in the kitchen downtown, and there are so many people that go to help serve brunch on Saturdays, that they don't always need help.

I'm in contact with St. Vincent (Who runs the homeless shelter) and we are going talk to them about passing out the hygiene kits after brunch is served on a Saturday. The most touching part of tonight's show was that the guy passing out the hygiene kits and donating clothes, took off HIS OWN shoes for a man that desperately needed new ones. I was bawling. It was amazing. It has just made me realize even more all that I have, that my family has. We are very thankful. Even when we sometime struggle for money, we really aren't struggling. We are blessed, and we praise the Lord for all that we are blessed with!

Anyway, anyone that wants to be involved and help us put them together and pass them out is welcome too! We are going to contact businesses to help donate money or supplies, and Seth's work is going to sponsor it all. I'll share more information as we get things put together, but anyone that wants to help, let me know. A quote I loved from the show tonight said this... " If you ever want to feel good about yourself, help others!"

3 comments:

Mallory Francks Photography said...

Melis! You are so awesome! I love this post so much. : ) You are such an amazing person. Just when I think you do SO much already for others and your family, you still manage to do something else fantastic! You are Superwoman!!! I can't wait to hear more about this. I would love to be involved. You have a HUGE HEART and I am proud to call you my friend : ) !!

Samantha and Brandon Scott said...

What a great plan, i want to be involved. you are such a neat person.

Julie Catoe said...

You are incredible. I love your idea. I would but can't make it, something about an ocean and being far away. I have seen parts of the show but I have not watched in regularly. I love that it inspired you. You are an amazing person with a great example and really I believe that there are so many good people who want to do good things I love shows like this that inspire that.