10.26.2009

Delicious Sugar Cookies

Here are some pictures of the kids from our Halloween Party this last weekend. Mykelle and I were cats. Trey is suppossed to be a mouse, but his face paint was pretty much gone by the end of the night!



Tonight for family night, we made Halloween cookies and had a movie night! It was so perfect. I was so tired today. I don't know if I didn't rest enough this weekend or what, but i was exhausted. We made cookies, (The kids love using cookie cutters, and are pros after cooking with me for so long!) I had dinner done and the kids bathed by 6. We made a movie theatre in our bedroom, and popped popcorn. We watched Fantastic Four, and cuddled up in our huge bed. It was so nice and relaxing.

We also talked about Loving one another. Loving Everyone. Even people that are mean. (I find it hard to teach that to Mykelle, when I am also teaching her to stand up for herself as well)

I kept telling her "If someone is mean to you, don't be mean back. Just ignore them, and if they keep being mean, tell your teacher. If that doesn't work, tell your mom!"

Her response was "No one is mean to me. I have lots of friends!"

The good thing about Mykelle is that she tells me EVERYTHING! The bad thing is, she is also a stroyteller.

I think it is so important that my children learn to respect others when they are young. I hope they will continue to learn to always be the bigger person in life's situations.

Trey's perspective on our family night was like this...

Seth: "Trey we love everyone don't we!? Even people that smoke cigarettes."

Trey: "NO! We don't like people that smoke."

We tried so hard not to laugh as we corrected him. Kids are so cute. If you are wondering why we talk about smoking so much, it is because are kids bring it up a lot. They notice it out in public too.




Sugar Cookies

*These sugar cookies are perfect if you like cookies that are soft and fluffy, and not too thick. I also have another recipe I love that mkaes really big and fluffy sugar cookies. This dough is also for being rolled out and using cookie cutters.

I got this recipe from All recipes a few years ago, and it was rated 4 ouf of 5 stars by over 1200 people. Those are good statistics! We think they are delicious!

1 1/2 cups buttered softened

2 cups white sugar

4 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

5 cups all purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

Directions:

In large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover and chill dough for one hour, or overnight.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roll out dough on floured surface 1/2 to 1/2 inches thick. Cut into shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake 6-8 minutes. I made about 3 dozen sugar cookies.

I am super picky about sugar cookie frosting, but I found a recipe I liked last year, and have used it ever since.

Frosting

4 cups powdered sugar

1/2 cup shortening

5 tablespoons milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

In large bowl, cream together sugar and shortening until smooth and stiff. Gradually mix in milk and vanilla with mixer. Add more milk to reach desired consistency.

5 comments:

Julie Catoe said...

Those cookies look like they are out of Good Housekeeping magazine. They look so good. Your kids are so smart and cute. I love that you and Seth are teaching them about respecting everyone even if they are doing something that they have been told is wrong. It is a tuff thing to grasp even as an adult.My girls are always asking about smoking too. They are kids and they notice everything. When I explain smoking to Brenna she will say to me why do people do it. That is hard to explain addiction and choices. But I am like you I believe in always being honest and explain things to your kids.

Scottkids said...

Jules,

HA HA! I wish that was my picture of the cookies! We ate all of ours before we got a picture! I saved some for tomorrow night though! It will be good to meet at "Our place" and chat! And eat cookies of course!

MaL said...

Your little fam is so cute! I love you guys! Mykelle looks like a model in that pic! She is so gorgeous. And your cookies look scrumptous!

Sarah Atwood said...

your kids are adorable! i LOVE that picture of mykelle. i agree that she looks like she is modeling :) and i am most definately going to try that sugar cookie recipe. i can't wait until my little one on the way is old enough to cut out sugar cookies with me someday!

Emily said...

I've been looking for an awesome sugar cookie recipe. I'll have to try that out! You're kids are so cute in their costumes.