10.04.2009

My Sister's Keeper

My sister is going to kill me for this, but this is us February 2004. I was 7 mths. pregnant with Mykelle. We both look really pale.

This is another picture of that day, that I love of Candice. I loved her red tights. I remember her on this day. Candice, I know how much you love mushy stuff on my blog, so I just wanted to tell you I think you are such an idiot, and I love you so much. :)


Oh, man! "My sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult, is a beautiful novel. It makes me think about so many things.

First off, it makes me think about my own children and what I would do if they had cancer. It would be so hard, that I can't even put it into words.

It makes me think about family. My own grandmother who had cancer. AND SURVIVED.

It also makes me think about my love for my own sister. The love the two sister's have for each other is so beautiful! There is a bond most sister's have, that is just amazing. Even when sister's fight, they still love each other. I know, because I have that relationship with my sister.

Growing up, we were best friends. We fought like crazy, but also loved every minute we spent together. Well, not every minute, but we had so much fun together most of the time.

I will never forget the day I ran away from home when I was 17 years old. Leaving my sister was so hard. I have never cried so much in my entire life. I knew what I was doing was right for me, but I had to leave my sister who was scared and couldn't imagine me not being in her life everyday. I am only bringing this up because that is one moment in my life that I realized how important she was to me, and how much I loved her!

So anyway, I was on page 309. Chapter Sara, 2002, and I didn't know what I was in for.

At some point in this chapter, without my knowledge, I am balling hysterically ( Which happens often when I am pregnant) and when Seth puts his arm around me and asks if I am ok, I realize this. I then start crying harder, and tell him this is the saddest book I have ever read, and can't imagine my child ever getting cancer. He says I scared him because he heard me crying so hard.. (He is so cute.)

This chapter was about when Kate, the teenage girl that has cancer, falls in love. OMG. I couldn't stop crying.

It was kind of ridiculous. As my friend Emily knows, when I am pregnant, I cry hysterically at times. This was one of those times.

My parents arrived shortly after I finished this chapter to drop our kids off. ( They stayed the night.) They cold tell I had been crying because my eyes turn this fluorescent green, so I told them before they could ask that I was reading my book again. My dad briefly says " Did you know Cameron Diaz really shaved her head in the movie to show her love for cancer patients?"

It was over after that. I was crying again. Sobbing.

It reminded me of the time that my lovely SIL Candice told me to scoot over on the couch when I was pregnant with Mykelle, because there was no room for her. She said "Move your birthing hips over!" or something like that, totally kidding, and I was crying for no reason. It was ridiculous, but I couldn't stop for like a minute, and then I was laughing. But that is what it was like. My parents started laughing, but my mom gave me a hug and said it was okay to cry.

I have not finished the book, but I'm sure I will this week. Then I can see the movie.

Geez, what a day. Crying gives you headaches, and as all my lovely friends know, I have been getting terrible headaches the last two weeks. All worth it though.

So on to the rest of the weekend. Conference was so good. I love the prophet of the LDS church. He is wonderful. I really liked the music too.

Seth is amazing, and never fails to make me laugh.

Speaking of amazing, have I mentioned how amazing everyone in my life is!? I have amazing friends, and family. True friends, and you all know who you are.

I also made Mexican Soup this weekend, and it was so yummy. Especially the leftovers today when it was cold outside. It is easy, and delicious!


Mexican Soup
2 cans stewed tomatoes.
I buy the Mexican style cans.
1 onion
1 can pinto beans
1 can red beans
1 can corn
1lb. Hamburger
I don't eat hamburger meat very often, so I used Hot Jimmy dean sausage.
1 can kidney beans
1 can garbanzo beans
1 pkg. Taco seasoning

Brown onion and meat. Use a blender, and blend up the stewed tomatoes. Add to large pot.

Mix all other ingredients (Don't drain any of the cans) together, and cook on stove top until heated thoroughly. Top with Frito's or tortilla chips, shredded cheese, and sour cream. Delish.


P.S. As some of you know, we are not going to find out what we are having, but let me say, I think it is a girl. Yes, already I do. Not because I really feel like it is a girl growing inside me,but because of my headaches, and my emotions. I cried a lot when I was pregnant with Mykelle. Over silly stuff as you read above. With Trey, I never cried, and obviously, this pregnancy is starting out to be an emotional one. I know, I know. All pregnancies are different, I'm just sayin'.... I'm so happy though, and LOVIN' life!

7 comments:

Mrs. JM said...

it's only my very humble opinion but nevertheless; the movie was terrible and just ALMOST ruined the book for me. the only thing i got out of the movie was a crush on the guy who played the dad. the book was SO GOOD. i was furious when i left the theater.

when you're done with this one, read the time traveler's wife (if you haven't already) and then go enjoy that movie because it was nearly as good as the book. my #1 book this year by far.

and, congrats on baby girl ;)

Scottkids said...

P.S. We also put avacados on our soup!

Emily said...

Oh my gosh you have me laughing so hard at this post. I love you! Even when you get mad at me for looking at you when you cry. Oh by the way, when I got home on Tuesday I decided you were having a girl. I just KNOW it.

Emily said...

Oh and you are crazy for reading "My Sister's Keeper". I don't even dare read it without all the extra hormones.

Scottkids said...

What made you think it is a girl, Em?

And YOU WOULD think this was funny. I will never go to a sad movie with you when I am pregnant. EVER AGAIN. Ha. Love you!

Emily said...

Haha, that's ok. As long as you go to New Moon with me.

I just had one of those feelings. It's a girl.

Candice said...

Thanks for the shout out. And why did we take so many pictures that day when I was so unattractive?? and pale??