1.15.2010

Thai Coconut Soup

Emily, this is the recipe I went off of. I obviously don't measure anything, or go by a complete recipe a lot of times, but this is what I did differently.

As you know, I do not like any sort of seafood, so I DID NOT use the fish oil, or the shrimp. I sauteed chicken in a little bit of oil, and curry paste, and then added it to the soup. I also added baby corn.

I am also picky about mushrooms, and wished I would have sauteed them a little first.

I couldn't find red curry paste at the market, so I used just regular curry paste. I didn't use fresh ginger either. I used the spice.

The directions below are totally different then mine, but you saw how I did it in the crock pot. ( I added the coconut milk, milk ( I added less broth, and milk to make it creamier), broth, mushrooms, lemongrass stalks, ginger, curry paste, brown sugar,lime, cilantro,baby corn, and salt and pepper into a crock pot and let in simmer for a little over an hour) Next time I make it, I will saute the mushrooms with the chicken. Also, remove the lemongrass stalks before you eat.

It was DELICIOUS!

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
1 stalk lemon grass, minced
2 teaspoons red curry paste
4 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
3 (13.5 ounce) cans coconut milk
1/2 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 pound medium shrimp - peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
salt to taste
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro


Directions
1.Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir the ginger, lemongrass, and curry paste in the heated oil for 1 minute. Slowly pour the chicken broth over the mixture, stirring continually. Stir in the fish sauce and brown sugar; simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk and mushrooms; cook and stir until the mushrooms are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the shrimp; cook until no longer translucent about 5 minutes. Stir in the lime juice; season with salt; garnish with cilantro.


Serve over Rice

5 comments:

Edwards. said...

I love curry. it is my favorite! I'm going to have to try this recipe as well...hopefully it's in your binder of recipes that you'll be making me for my birthday. :)

Emily said...

Thank you!!!!

The Halladay Family said...

is there anything you can't do?

Mrs. JM said...

i made coconute-curry chicken soup on saturday night too! funny. my recipe was a little different and it felt like it took forever to make but it was yummy and healthy!

i found red curry paste at pirate o's in sandy. i love that store. there's an asian market right up the street from your house, have you been there?

i don't like seafood either but didn't think twice about adding the fish sauce. that was the only thing i didn't like about it, the fish sauce. it wasn't over powering but i could smell it. i definitely won't add it next time! yuck.

Scottkids said...

Oh my goodness Steph, there is so much I cannot do!

Cooking is something I CAN! He He

Mrs. JM,

I haven't. I love Sunflowers they usually have everything, and I have NEVER heard of Pirate O's. Where is it at?? AND, Fish oil is NASTY! I can taste that in everything! I guess it is big in THAI food, so I always have to ask for my Thai without it. I wish I liked seafood, I just can't do it.

Mindy, YES. I will for usre add it! It's going to be the BEST cookbook EVER!