1.09.2010

What a Family Wants

This is how we found our kids one morning beside our bed. Precious little stinkers that won't stay in their beds.

This week for our family night, we talked about what we wanted to do in the New Year. Together. For Ourselves, and I also asked the kids what they wanted from Seth and I.

These are what the kids wanted for themselves.

  • Trey wants to learn how to swim and ride his bike!
  • Mykelle wants to learn how to read even better!

As a family this is what they wanted us to keep doing, or begin doing. (Kids are so neat.)
  • Go to the Mountains
  • Go Camping
  • Eat together
  • Pray Together
  • Read together
  • Play together
  • Have fun together
  • Cook together
  • Swim together
  • Have movie theatres at home (Turn off the lights and have lots of blankets and pillows, and make popcorn)

What they wanted Seth and I to change were these two simple things. Things that to me mean so much coming from my kids. They are honest and true.

Mommy cleans too much, and should clean not so much.

(Lol. Because they wanted this to change, they have declared to help more too, and they have this week. Sometimes its more time consuming, but it is so important for us to teach our children how families should really work. I am not the type of mom that does everything for them. To me, that is not how families work! )

Daddy works too much!

(Simply stated. Since he just gave Farmers Insurance his notice to leave, and that he was going independent, this may be a little hard this year, but it is going to be SO GREAT for us in the long run, and the potential is even better! He is such a hard worker, and it is hard, because even though he is starting his own business over, and it takes time, and these our the years we will never get back from our children, and the years I know, myself personally, will miss the most!)

3 comments:

Mrs. JM said...

loved catching up on your blog melissa! it's only taken me 30 minutes to read through everything and admire pictures. 30 minutes well spen on your cute family. glad to see you had a great christmas and 2010 is going to be great!

Angela said...

I loved the stuff your kids said! And what a great idea to get them helping with keeping the house clean. I also love the picture of them sleeping on your floor!! So cute!

Hawaii Soccer Mom said...

Wow! Congratulations to you guys for venturing out on your own! I was wondering why his website didn't have his picture on it anymore. I linked it to my blog, so when he gets the new one, let me know and I'll change the link. The things kids say...man, they are so cute and smart and just awesome. And they notice everything! I love your family-ness.